Friday, February 6, 2009

Week 5 (Part 2) - Healthy Tips from Andy!

Week five is coming to a close! Congratulations on making it this far with me...the journey has been so AMAZING! At the beginning it was my goal to lose weight and become healthier, but along the way my goal has become so much more...to share with others a TRUE addiction. This was one of the hardest things for me to share over the air...that I struggled with eating. Because, in today's culture the rest of the world looks at overweight people as they say, "Just stop eating so much and start exercising...don't be lazy." But, it's not that easy. Maybe you know of someone who has been addicted to some sort of substance or to something physical...eating is no different, and breaking it doesn't come overnight! But, with faith, hope, prayer, and persistance it DOES come!!

I have been able to talk with so many people who deal with over eating...but, I also got to talk to a woman who's trying to quit smoking, a woman who is dealing with anorexia, and a recovored anorexic. Even though we are all dealing with different struggles, they ALL relate! And, I am here to encourage you through that struggle. I refuse to let my weakness win, and I hope you feel the same! Keep up the amazing work! I would love for you to leave your struggles, encouragments, and questions here...so we can all do this together!

Just in case you missed this week's tips from my trainer, Andy, I've posted them below for you!

-Instead of thinking of this change you are making in your life as a 12 week challenge or a new years resolution, start thinking of it as a life long journey. That way when you reach your goals you can just maintain a healthy weight and never have to quote on quote “Diet” again!

-When sitting down with a snack, measure out a correct portion size before you start the munching. Otherwise you might end up regretting the amount you ate afterwards.

-During your cardio, try doing interval training at least 1-2 days/week. Interval training is a short burst of high intensity, for example 30 seconds, followed by a longer recovery period, ex. 1 minute 30 seconds, to allow your heart rate to come down. This will help to increase your endurance faster than staying at the same pace the entire time you do your cardio.

-Drink 8-16 oz. of water before each of your 5-6 meals/day to help trick your body into thinking it is not as hungry as it is. This will allow you to eat less.

-Chew sugar-free gum when you get the urge to munch on something. Put a piece of gum in immediately after you finish eating to prevent you from going back for seconds or nibbling on what’s left on your plate.

-Make sure you have variety in your resistance training program. Constantly change the weights, reps, and types of equipment you are using to constantly shock your muscles. This will prevent you from hitting a plateau.

Keep up the AMAZING work! I'm praying for you!!

David

No comments:

Post a Comment